Today is “National Lipstick Day.” At least that’s what the web and PR mavens tell me. So who am I to argue.
In honor of said holiday, I’ll share a few fun facts about the beloved product.
First off, it’s been said that the beauty industry remains afloat during a recession or when others are in turmoil because a woman can purchase one lipstick and feel like she’s had a makeover. Instant “feel better” status. I believe this.
Here’s a few you may not have heard…
- At one point (1650 to be specific), some governments such as the British Parliament attempted to ban lipstick from being worn. WTF?
- Wearing red lipstick early in the Greek empire signified a woman was a prostitute. It’s still a popular shade in the field, I hear.
- Rumor has it, Elizabeth Taylor once banned all other women from wearing red lipstick on her film set. Actually, I’ve heard of way worse diva demands and dressing room riders.
Annnnd here are a few lipsticks worth trying if you haven’t yet.
RODIAL GLAMSTICK SPF15, Bang
Love this brand. Love this balm. It delivers gorgeous sheer color with SPF, is enriched with Vitamin E & Cocoa Butter, and has a light coconut scent.
BITE BEAUTY LUMINOUS CRÈME LIPSTICK, Fiano
This particular color is a distinctive lush nude. This is also my new favorite lip brand. In fact, it’s made with only food-grade ingredients and so free of all the bad stuff that it’s actually healthy enough to eat! Just in case you’re going on Naked & Afraid…you could bring this dual-purpose product as your “one” survival item.
TYRA BEAUTY LIP MODEL, Hater Blocker
Leave it to Tyra Banks to make a sparkly red and gold shade that’s a universal head-turner on everyone!
Happy Lipstick Day to all!
So you’ve dropped some dinero on lash extensions. Might as well learn how to make ’em last, right?
We just received some great tips from celeb beauty guru Skyy Hadley. Try them out this summer and see if those little lashes stay put any longer.
- If you’re just looking to shorten your time in front of the mirror each morning, opt for a less dramatic lash. They’ll still look stunning, but will be much easier to maintain.
- Once you get them done, allow lashes 24 to 48 hours of setting time before getting them wet. Moisture from washing your face, showers or even sweat can easily reactivate the adhesive and make your lashes clump.
- Avoid touching the extensions as much as possible. Lashes will naturally shed on their own. Touching or messing with them can make them fall out faster.
- Keeping your natural lashes healthy helps maintain your extensions, too. Apply lash conditioner, baby oil, or lash lengthening serum to make sure your extensions have a strong base.
Our 2 Cents: Only wear waterproof mascara when it’s absolutely necessary. (Like a funeral!) No joke. Most of these are really harsh on lashes. If you do use it, try an oil-based remover.
Ciao for now!
Sitting quietly off the eastern coast of the Baja peninsula is a hidden jewel in Loreto called the Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa. Upon seconds of arrival, I went from feeling like I was in the middle of nowhere, to exactly where I was supposed to be.
Greeted with kind smiles and quenching strawberry lemonade, we would soon kick off our Wellness Week experience through a special hand washing ritual—signifying all of our stress and bad juju would be left outside the hotel doors.
Checking in was surprisingly simple since we had emailed all of our information and food preferences prior. I always recommend doing this, btw. Help the hotel help you! We were given magical bracelets to wear for the entirety of our stay. No room keys to lose (or get deactivated from being held too close to your cell phone) here. Just this little waterproof accessory that would never fail to let you in your room.
I had a One Bedroom Suite. It was 1,300 square feet of total comfort! With a king bed in the bedroom and a pullout queen sofa in the living room, it could have slept four easily. Not to mention a huge private balcony overlooking eyefuls of the Sea of Cortez, fully functioning kitchen, two bathrooms, two TVs, and (big drum roll!) a washer/dryer. The appliances put my little Los Angeles apartment to shame. Charming touches such as Welcome truffles and your name in colorful pebbles on the master bed represent the warmth of the culture—as well as the resort staff.
The first night, we enjoyed surf & turf skewers under the stars amongst the fire pits and island breeze. There are three restaurants on the almost 4,500 acre property—all of which provide room service and can accommodate gluten-free, vegetarian, vegan, and even kosher (if notified in advance) diners.
Menus aren’t taken lightly here. Each meal is prepared like a work of art and presented with all the care of a gallery curator. Continue reading
If you enjoy a good bath at the end of the day or post-workout, you’re probably familiar with ME! Bath. If the name doesn’t ring a bell, you might recognize their cute ice cream scoop-shaped bath bombs. Ahh-dorbs!
Not only are the bombs cute, but they really do spruce up your soak with fizzy fabulousness. Each one is made with six oils, purifying minerals, fragrance and Epsom salts to hydrate and improve skin tone.
The brand also makes a sugar-based Shower Sherbet that I indulge in regularly. Each tub is an experience of cleansing, exfoliation and silky smoothing. My favorite is the Land of Milk n Honey. You don’t even have to moisturize after the shower when you use it.
The ME! Bath Ice Cream Collection makes an aesthetically adorable gift, too. Check out all the collections at mebath.com. And look for some classic Ice Cream Collection flavors at your nearest Target location this spring!