So August might have been National Hair Loss Month, but I’m covering it this month. #RebelStatus. The subject itself used to be rather taboo, especially for women. Not so much anymore, as it’s been quoted that 46 million women in the U.S. have already experienced thinning hair or balding. AND women who’ve had chemical treatments are 71% more likely to experience hair loss than those who haven’t. gulp.
Not great news for us women who can’t pull of the cue ball look as well as men can. Cough Morris Chestnut cough cough.
I’ve written about this topic before, so check out those suggestions if you like HERE. But if even more strands are coming out in the shower lately, make sure you know your options before considering an invasive procedure.
First off, do you bun or pony your hair up often? Guilty. It’s no bueno for fine, fragile or damaged hair. If you’re going to continue doing it (guilty again), here are a few tips to at least lessen the damage you’re already doing.
- Apply a hair strengthener or leave-in conditioner after showering. The It’s a 10 restoring collection has some great, cost-effective options. Try the Miracle Leave-In Potion – or for styling, check out the Miracle Whipped balm. Love that one!
- Hair is most fragile when it’s wet. Try waiting ’til your hair is dry before pulling it or twisting it up. If time doesn’t allow, go for a clip vs. a band.
- Clips with “teeth” are easier on strands than clamp-style clips or rubber bands.
- If you want to try a hair collection that helps to regrow and restore your strands, I’ve been really impressed with the ReGenesis collection. It’s made by the Revitalash people. They’ve got awesome spot treatments and leave-ins, but I’ve been most surprised at the efficacy of their Scalp Therapy shampoo and conditioner. I highly recommend trying these!
- Another option people are swearing by is Keranique. It’s a 4-piece system said to help rejuvenate your scalp and hair shafts. NOTE: I haven’t tried this one personally, but have heard good things!
If any other products have worked for you, please share them here. And if you try any of the above, let me know what you think!