I’m a longtime Adele fan. But when she demanded a do-over LIVE on-air (and dropped a few F bombs!) at the Grammys, I completely fangirled out. She was not about to deliver anything but perfection for her friend George Michael.
And while I’m paying homage, I’ll bow down to Michael Ashton, too. He’s the artist we can credit for Adele’s glowing skin and signature cat eye tonight.
Before Ashton even applied color, he primed her face with Ole Henriksen skincare products. First he let a few dots of Ultimate Lift eye crème absorb under her eyes. Then he mixed a few pumps of Pure Truth Vitamin C Youth Activating Oil with a bit of Nurture Me crème and thoroughly worked it into her skin, blending outwards from the center of her face.
Ashton used the following Marc Jacobs Beauty products to create Adele’s gorgeous Grammy look.
- Under(cover) Perfecting Coconut face primer (warmed up in hands first, then pressed into skin)
- Genius Gel Super-charged oil-free foundation 26 bisque medium
- Remedy concealer pen in 2 wake-up call (under eye, t-zone & high plane areas)
- #instamarc Light Filtering Contour Powder in dream filter 20 (under cheek bones, around hair line)
- Brow Wow defining longwear eyebrow pencil in taupe 2 and ashbrown 4
- Brow Tamer grooming gel
- Twinkle Pop Stick eyeshadow in volver 402 (lid)
- Style Eye Con no 7 plush eyeshadow palette in the lolita 206 (contours)
- Magic Marc’er precision pen waterproof liquid eyeliner in blacquer (starting at inner corner and thickening as line extends outward to a fanned cat eye)
- Velvet Noir major volume mascara (top and bottom lashes)
- Le Marc Liquid lip crème in slow burn 458 and fawn over me 452 (blot and clean up edges before applying second coat)
To set the look and give it extra vitamin-packed staying power, Ashton added a light mist of Ole Henriksen Nurture Me facial water to Adele’s entire face. And it worked. It ALL worked! Shop Ole Henriksen and Marc Jacobs Beauty on their respective sites or Sephora.
Congrats to Adele for 5 huge Grammy wins!
Next: I’m after what products are used on Bruno Mars. His skin always looks flawless. Or maybe he’s born with it…
LORAC’s I ♥ Brunch Collection
To know me is to know that I love brunch. Brunch is my jam. Literally. So needless to say I was a little excited to check out LORAC‘s latest color collection: I ♥ Brunch.
And it’s as charming as it sounds. Candy-colored pastels create a makeup ode to brunch in Los Angeles. Shades like Foodie, Eggs Benny, Smoothie and Avocado Toast make these products even more fun.
If you want a full-coverage pastel, go for the lipsticks. If you prefer a sheer wash of sorbet color, try the glosses… and the rest of the collection. Shadows can be layered for a denser look. Or use a damp brush for a girly dose of watercolor.
I ♥ Brunch collection
Alter Ego Lipstick & Lipgloss in Brunch Queen
I’ve swatched the lipsticks (left) and glosses (right) in natural afternoon light below.
The I ♥ Brunch collection consists of:
- 4 highly-pigmented Alter Ego Lipsticks
- 4 corresponding Alter Ego Lip Glosses
- 1 Pro Palette
- 2 Color Source buildable blushes
- 1 Light Source highlighter
Look for these new products at Ulta Beauty and Kohl’s later this month!
💋NEW Instagram! @cityofglossangeles
Listen up, lipstick lovers! I’ve got one gorgeous NARS Special Edition Audacious Lipstick in Rita red that I can’t wait to give away. All you have to do is be on Instagram.
Look for today’s NARS post! Directions are simple:
- Follow me on IG at glossangelesgirl.
- Tag at least 3 of your favorite beauty lovers.
- Be a US resident (apologies to all others!)
- Make sure your IG account is public
- For a bonus entry, repost using #glossangelesgiveaway
The winner will be announced on December 7th.
Good luck to all!
I’ll make this one short. With everything going on in our world right now, it seems silly to even acknowledge a “holiday” like National Lipstick Day. Especially the day after the first woman in American history has accepted the nomination for #POTUS. Cue glass ceiling: shattering!
That said, I’m the first to throw on some lipstick or gloss when I need a quick pick-me-up. I’m not proud of this. And I’m not not proud of it. It just is. And it really helps.
Pick a shade. There are millions. Even blues and greens lately, thanks to brands like Make Up For Ever and Kat Von D. Of all the many makeover tricks, throwing on some lipstick is by far the easiest – and least expensive. When you just need something to make you feel a little more you, or a little less you – a new lipstick is much cheaper than a new dress or shoes.
Lately I’ve been loving everything Bite Beauty launches – their Amuse Bouche collection being the most recent. If you prefer natural products, this brand is a must-try! They’re devoted to creating lip color that’s “good enough to eat.”
But my drawer runneth over with beautiful shades and formulations from personal favorites such as Buxom, Yves Saint Laurent, Chanel, LORAC, Smashbox, NARS, Tarte, Dior, Giorgio Armani, Hourglass, Jouer, and more, that I celebrate today.
Happy #NationalLipstickDay, all… and TGIF!
Today is “National Lipstick Day.” At least that’s what the web and PR mavens tell me. So who am I to argue.
In honor of said holiday, I’ll share a few fun facts about the beloved product.
First off, it’s been said that the beauty industry remains afloat during a recession or when others are in turmoil because a woman can purchase one lipstick and feel like she’s had a makeover. Instant “feel better” status. I believe this.
Here’s a few you may not have heard…
- At one point (1650 to be specific), some governments such as the British Parliament attempted to ban lipstick from being worn. WTF?
- Wearing red lipstick early in the Greek empire signified a woman was a prostitute. It’s still a popular shade in the field, I hear.
- Rumor has it, Elizabeth Taylor once banned all other women from wearing red lipstick on her film set. Actually, I’ve heard of way worse diva demands and dressing room riders.
Annnnd here are a few lipsticks worth trying if you haven’t yet.
RODIAL GLAMSTICK SPF15, Bang
Love this brand. Love this balm. It delivers gorgeous sheer color with SPF, is enriched with Vitamin E & Cocoa Butter, and has a light coconut scent.
BITE BEAUTY LUMINOUS CRÈME LIPSTICK, Fiano
This particular color is a distinctive lush nude. This is also my new favorite lip brand. In fact, it’s made with only food-grade ingredients and so free of all the bad stuff that it’s actually healthy enough to eat! Just in case you’re going on Naked & Afraid…you could bring this dual-purpose product as your “one” survival item.
TYRA BEAUTY LIP MODEL, Hater Blocker
Leave it to Tyra Banks to make a sparkly red and gold shade that’s a universal head-turner on everyone!
Happy Lipstick Day to all!